PRELUDE TO REVOLUTION - THE CAUSES AND
1. What was signed in 1763?
By whom was it signed?
2. What did it say?
(try to use your own words to explain)
3. When was the Sugar Act passed?
(Be sure to use the link highlighted in this question to find the answer, as it
provides the answer to numbers 4-7 as well)
4. What was passed in 1765?
Name 8 items which were taxed.
5. What happened on December 16,
6. What event happened on March 5, 1770?
7. Describe in your
own words what happened on this day.
8. Who actually hung
the two lanterns in the Old North Church on April 18, 1775?
9. What were
the Intolerable Acts?
10. Name 4 laws which were passed in this
PEOPLE OF THE REVOLUTION
11. On what date did
Paul Revere make his
12. Who went with Paul Revere on this ride?
what night of the week did Revere
make this ride? (the site asks for a birthdate, but you can put any date in and
get a correct day of the week returned)
14. The following quotes came
from the time period during the Revolutionary War. Who said each of
BATTLES OF THE REVOLUTIONARY
Go to History Place and fill
in the blanks with the appropriate words:
15. At dawn on April 19 about
70 armed Massachusetts militiamen stand face to face on Lexington Green with the
British advance guard. An unordered '________ ____________ _____________ ______
__________' begins the _____________________ __________.
Lexington, where did the British go?
17. How far in miles is
it from Lexington,
Massachusetts to Concord, Massachusetts?
18. What were the British and American losses (dead and wounded) at Bunker Hill?
19. Who was the
commander of the British forces who ordered his troops to destroy the military
stores at Concord in April of 1775?
20. What Revolutionary War battle was fought on October 7, 1780?
21. On what date was the
Trenton, NJ fought?
Washington defeated on September 11, 1777?
23. Where was he defeated on October 4,
24. What was
one of the most commonly used (popular) weapons of the
25. What was the most powerful weapon used?
Name two other weapons used in the Revolutionary War.
woman posed as a man so that
she could serve for the American Army in the War for Independence?
What were the names of the two sisters who stole an important message from
British soldiers and carried it to General Greene of the American
29. Name one other woman who aided the cause of the American
30. Who made up the Committee of 5 men who drafted the Declaration of
Fill in the blanks to complete this sentence from the
Declaration of Independence:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are
created ______________, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain
unalienable rights, that among these are __________, ______________ and the
pursuit of ___________________.
A NEW NATION
31. On what date was the
Revolutionary War officially ended? (When did Congress declare an
end to the war?)
32. On what date did
Washington deliver his inaugural address in New York City?
33. Who served
as President after Washington?
34. What events happened on March 4, 1789, and March 4, 1793? (You will be taken to an Almanac on the CNN
site that shows the year as 1998. Ignore the year, click on the specified date,
and then click on the link for "On This Day" and you will see the events for
that day in history.)